Computer Use Policy
Scappoose Public Library District is pleased to provide patrons with access to computers with Microsoft Office Suite, Internet/email access and online databases. Sign up to use a computer at the front desk.Computer use policy is based on respect for other users, computer equipment and staff members.
Patrons are guaranteed 30 minutes of use. After 30 minutes, if there are other patrons waiting, staff will ask computer users to relinquish their computer on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Children under 16 may use computers logged on under the "Child" account which does not allow Internet access.
Children under 16 may access the Internet with their library card if they have a computer use agreement on file signed by a parent or legal guardian, or their parent/guardian is present to provide supervision.
Internet Acceptable Use Policy
Users must read and abide by the Internet Use Policy and acknowledge intent to comply by signing the Scappoose Public Library Computer Use form, or by obtaining and using the password to the library’s wireless network.
· Two people may work together at one computer if they are not disturbing others or impeding the use of others.
· User will not engage in any unlawful activity, including the transmission of any material in violation of any U.S. or state regulation.
· Users will not seek to gain unauthorized access to the resources of the library or Internet databases.
· Users will not disrupt the privacy of any users.
· Users will observe all copyright laws which might apply to files, software, or other resources downloaded from the Internet.
· Users may not engage in any activity that can be construed to be harmful to minors in any way.
· Users assume responsibility for the sites selected to view on the Internet.
· Users understand that information obtained from the Internet is used “at your own risk” and that the library makes no guarantee as to accuracy or validity of information obtained, displayed or printed from Internet.
· The Scappoose Public Library District and the library staff and Board assume no responsibility for any direct or indirect, consequential, special or punitive damages or losses, arising from use of its personal computers, World Wide Web server, or from its connections to other Internet services.
Wireless Internet Access
All users are expected to use the library’s wireless access to the Internet in a legal and responsible manner, consistent with the policies stated above. Users should not violate federal, Oregon, or local laws, including the transmission or receiving of child pornography or harmful material, fraud, or illegally downloading copyrighted material.
Wifi Connections Are Not Secure
As with most public wireless “hot spots,” the library’s wireless connection is not secure.
Any information being sent or received could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user. Cautious and informed wireless users should not transmit their credit card information, passwords and any other sensitive personal information while using any wireless “hot spot.”
Approved by Scappoose Public Library Board 11.17.11
Copies and Printing
Black and white copies or printing is 10 cents per page.
Color printing is 25 cents for 1/4 of a page or less; 50 cents for 1/2 page or less; 75 cents for 3/4 of page or less; and $1.00 for a full page.
You may check out library materials as soon as you are issued a card.
Item Limits Per Card
- Adult Cards: 50 item limit (no more than 10 DVDs at any one time)
- Juvenile Cards: 20 item limit (5 DVDs)
Length of Check Outs and Fines Per Day Per Item
- Books & Audio Books: 28 days ($.20/day)
- Videos: 28 days ($.25/day)
- Periodicals: 28 days ($.20 per day)
- Juvenile Materials: 28 days (Fines for all juvenile materials are $.10 a day per item.)
Please return all items inside the building during business hours. When library is closed, please return items in our book drop (located next to the staff entrance stairs).
We reserve the right to limit books on any one subject to two at a time. When classes are doing reports we reserve the right to limit the books to one at a time on one subject to one per household.
Rules of behavior
The Scappoose Public Library has rules of behavior that govern all library patrons. This document is available upon request. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. The Scappoose Library assumes no responsibility or liability for any children left unattended in the building and/or on library property.
If you cannot locate what you need in the library, most materials can be borrowed through surrounding libraries. There is a $2.50 per item charge for postage and handling. (This fee still applies if you request an item but do not pick it up within 10 days of its arrival).
Library materials may be renewed twice over the phone or online, after which the item has to be brought into the library. If the item is not on a request list, the item can be checked in and checked out again in person.